Smart System Research Paper
Do research on two of the following topics:
- Smart Cities
- Smart Highways
- Smart Factories/Warehouses
- Smart Data Centers
- Smart Homes
Write a 10-page Word document, double-spaced, detailing each system, their subsystems and at least 25 requirements (total)and associated specifications for each of the Smart Systems.
(PMI, 2021) indicates “the term requirement generally refers to a customer need while specification refers to a detailed, usually technical description of how that need will be met.” For example, if a Smart Home must have a wireless thermostat, that is a requirement. A Requirement states what a product must do or a quality it must possess. A Specification is a collection of requirements that are used in the design of that product.
Research must include scholarly references but can also include YouTube videos on the Smart Systems. Note when thinking about sub-systems: consider a home Smart System. Within that System you might have a sub-system for electricity, another sub-system for communications, and another sub-system for security, etc. You must not only detail the major system but also the sub-systems found in the research.
Also view YouTube videos on Augmented Reality and Virtual Reality to extend your research on how these Smart systems may evolve over time.
Your paper should include multiple topic sections or paragraphs. Start with a section that describes the first Smart System, followed by individual sections for each of its Sub-Systems. Then add a section that describes the second Smart System, followed by individual sections for each of its Sub-Systems. In your paper, provide the following:
- An Introduction paragraph describing the assignment and a short description of the two systems selected.
- A section that describes the Smart System (with an appropriate section Heading) and the basic specifications that drive the development of the Smart Systems.
- What is its purpose?
- What operations it performs?
- What are its inputs (resources, interfaces, when used)?
- What are its outputs (interfaces, data)?
- How does the technology integrate within the system?
- How important is the technology to the system?
- The system’s complexity/cost/feasibility.
- Any constraints or risks found during the research.
- How the various technologies integrate to accomplish the system goals.
Conclude the section with any potential specifications and functionality that might be added in the future based on enhanced technology (this may come from your research or from other technologies like Augmented or Virtual Reality).
- A section for each Sub-System (with an appropriate section Heading) that includes:
- A description of that Sub-System.
- Detailed functionality that drives the development of the Sub-System.
Conclude with any potential specifications and functionality that might be added in the future based on enhanced technology (this may come from your research or from other technologies like Augmented or Virtual Reality).
Your paper should conclude with a Findings section the compares the two systems. Provide the following:
- What specifications/functionality are common to both Smart Systems.
- What specifications/functionality from one Smart System or Sub-System should or could be applied to the other Smart System.
- What potential specifications and functionality might be included in both systems.
To receive full credit for this assignment, you must not only document the smart system but also document how the sub-systems are integrated as processes within a system (i.e. Smart Cities have a lot of smart tools but these tools are integrated as a smart system used across multiple platforms – infrastructure, transportation, etc.)
You must include at least 10 references with citations. Not all references need to be scholarly and can include videos, websites, blogs, etc.